Friday, February 2, 2024

Take Off Briefing

 



**Question:** "Is a pre-takeoff emergency briefing worth the effort for a GA pilot, especially when rushed at a busy airport?"

My Answer:
Absolutely, and here's why. As Pilot in Command (PIC), I ensure a pre-takeoff briefing is part of every flight, a practice I've upheld since my training days in Florida, USA, in 2012. My instructor, a serving airline captain, instilled in me the value of meticulous preparation and high standards. These qualities distinguish exceptional pilots and have guided my personal approach to flying.

Why It's Crucial:
An emergency plan immediately after takeoff could be a lifesaver. I understand the pressure at busy airports, where you might feel hurried. To counter this, I recommend doing the briefing on the ramp, just before boarding the aircraft.

How to Conduct an Effective Briefing:
- Use an airport diagram or a top-down view on your iPad.
- Verbally walk through the takeoff process, including power checks and engine gauge readings.
- Establish a clear abort point on the runway for pre-rotation issues.
- For problems below 700 feet AGL, plan to maintain straight-ahead trajectory, slightly adjusting for safer crash sites if necessary.
- Above 700 feet AGL, decide in advance whether to turn left or right in case of engine failure. This decision should be based on wind conditions and the airport layout.
- Upon reaching pattern altitude, you'll have more options for dealing with emergencies.
- If departing IFR or heading to a specific destination, include these details in your briefing.

The Benefit of Using a Tablet:
If you're employing a tablet, your course is likely displayed on the screen. Familiarize yourself with the direction and any noteworthy points along the route.

Final Thought:
I find that repeating the key points mentally just before takeoff reinforces the game plan, ensuring I'm prepared for any eventuality.

No comments:

Post a Comment